Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Has it Only Been Two Days?

Just thought I'd pop in for a quick update. We are all doing fine and we are schedule to be discharged tomorrow (Christmas morning). I'm healing slowly, but surely. I'm quite sore, but I've been told that I'll feel pretty good after about a week. We did manage to accomplish a fully vaginal delivery, although getting Banana out was a bit more difficult than planned and he was pulled out feet first. I do plan on giving you all some more details about the birth, but that can wait until we get home and I have a chance to collect my thoughts a bit. It was a lot to process and I'm still processing. We will also post a picture or two of the babies once we get home.

Speaking of the babies, they are doing just fine. Banana's arm (his right humerus) was broken during his breech extraction, but he really doesn't seem to mind it. I think I'm more upset about it than he is. He is a very calm baby (so far) and makes the funniest faces. He has had a hard time nursing, but is taking a bottle like a pro. We've really only gotten one good latch from him so far, but the nurses have encouraged us to keep trying and that he is completely normal for his weight/gestational age.

Apple is extremely strong and has also been pretty calm. Although she is a voracious eater and she has had more successful nursing sections than Banana, she seems to prefer the bottle lately. I think nursing is going to be an uphill battle with both of them, but we'll see. Apple is definitely a hungry girl. She starts sticking her tongue out to let us know she is hungry and usually a bit before we are scheduled for her next feed. She has the most beautiful skin, but she seems to be getting a little jaundiced now, so we're hoping this doesn't delay her homecoming.

As you all probably guessed, B was awesome during the whole labor and delivery and he has been demonstrating his natural ability as a daddy. He has been taking the best care of all three of us and he even had the foresight to buy me a "push" gift to bring with to the hospital. He gave me a beautiful diamond band Tuesday morning after the delivery that has three stones, one for us and one for each baby. I cried, of course. I cry A LOT these days. But for good reason.

We are anxious to get home and get settled, but for now we are just in awe of our two little miracles.

Thanks to everyone for your comments. B read me all of your comments during labor and it was so cool knowing that all of you were thinking of us and encouraging us with so much positive energy.

I will update when I can. Until then, Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah!

12 comments:

Sharon said...

It was wonderful to see you felt well enough to post. Glad you all sound like you are doing well. Hope everyone gets home and enjoys the holidays. By the way how is the rash doing?

Mo said...

OH! Congratulations! You sound like you are doing really well. Congrats on a job well done - sounds like you labored and birthed like a champ! Look forward to hearing your birth story details when you have a chance to share them. Til then, enjoy those two beautiful babes and that awesome husband of yours!

Mo

luna said...

you are a warrior, denise!

enjoy these precious moments.

Amanda said...

Merry Christmas to you and your family of four!

I'm sorry to hear about the broken bone, but glad that everything else went so well. I can't wait to hear that you're all home and getting settled. :-)

Maryanne said...

D and B- Congrats and good to hear you guys are are doing so well. What a wonderful set of "gifts" you guys were blessed with this year! Happy holidays and looking forward to hearing when you get home!

momofonefornow said...

I hope all goes as planned and your family can spend Christmas at home.

Poor little Nathan. Will he have to have a cast? I bet that is a little nerve wracking for mom and dad. It would have made me nervous.

Good luck with the latching and have a very Merry Christmas!

Rhonda said...

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to you, B, and the new additions!

Jen said...

I am just so happy for you guys! What a wonderful holiday present! And home today? That's even better.

I am sorry to hear about Nathan's arm. But talking to my in-laws about my hubby's multitude of broken bones, they always seemed to mind more than he did when he was a little guy. I hope he heals quickly!

I just wanted to wish you all best. I can't say enough how happy I am for you all.

Much love!

Duffy said...

Poor Nathan! I am glad to hear he doesn't seem too bothered by his arm though - what a strong little guy!

So glad you are doing so well and both babes are well. You are truly a warrior mamma!

Rest and enjoy those delicious little ones....you worked hard to get here!

Big big hugs!

Rebecca said...

I can't believe you did a breech extraction! Good for you! I'm so happy for you guys...

tintedsky said...

i have been waiting to see photos of your babies and they are indeed worth the wait. They are so beautiful. Congratulations Denise.

CJ said...

Congrats!!! Are babies are born on the same day!! Glad things went well and shower about the shoulder seperation!!