I still have no idea what is going on. I waited all day Friday for the results of the blood work and finally gave in and called the clinic at 4:15. They are supposed to return calls through 4:30pm on weekdays. I left a message at 4:15 and no one called back. So I called again Saturday morning and was told a nurse would call me back.
After an hour, a nurse who I've never worked with before called me back. She obviously hadn't read my chart and had no idea what I was calling about. Here's how the conversation went:
Nurse: What can we help you with today?
Me: I'm calling to get results from my blood work as no one has called me back.
Nurse: when did you get blood drawn?
Me: Thursday afternoon.
Nurse: Oh, here it is. Your estrogen level was at 2xx (something over 200--I can't remember the exact number).
Me: So....(long pause)...what does that mean?
Nurse: Why did they check your estrogen level?
Me: (in head thinking why didn't you read my chart before you called me back?) I called on Thursday morning because of a heavy period and I've always had very light periods when on Lu.pron coming off of BCP. I was concerned that I'm not properly suppressed for my FET.
Nurse: Well that is what the Lu.pron is for.
Me: Uhh, I know that. But my body has responded very differently this time than it did the last 2 times. I'm just concerned it isn't working.
Nurse: Well when we use Lu.pron for an FET cycle, it suppresses you.
Me: Yes, I know. But, as I said, my body is responding differently than the last two times.
Nurse: Well everyone's body reacts differently to these medications and your body won't always react the same each time.
Me: Okay, so does that mean I AM suppressed?
Nurse: When did you start the Viv.elle patches?
Me: Thursday morning, as per my calendar (which is right in the front of my chart, you idiot).
Nurse: Well we have no way of knowing whether or not you are suppressed because we can't tell if your estrogen level is natural or from the patches that you started the morning before you got your blood drawn.
Me: I don't understand. Jennifer told me to come in for a blood draw to check for suppression. She has my calendar. Why would she do that if she knew I had already started the patches based on my calendar?
Nurse: The patch you used Thursday morning has skewed the blood results, so we don't really know. But you are on Lu.pron, so you should be suppressed.
Me: (Good God woman! What is wrong with you?!!) So, I took off work 3 hours early and spent $135 for a blood draw for nothing?
Nurse: You should be suppressed. That's what the Lu.pron is for. We don't usually do blood work this early in an FET cycle. We would normally just check your estrogen next week (on the 16th) to make sure it is over 200--no wait--over 100. Then we do a lining check on the 25th. That is all we do for FET cycles.
Me: (trying to calm myself and find a solution) So, do you think I should be checking for surge just to be safe?
Nurse: You shouldn't surge on Lu.pron.
Me. (Oh....My.....GOD!!!!!) I know that, but I'm obviously concerned it isn't working. If for some reason it ISN'T working and I ovulate through, won't the cycle be cancelled?
Nurse: Yes, but we wouldn't know if you ovulated through.
Me: That's why I was wondering if I should be checking for surge. You know what, this isn't helping. I'll just wait until Jennifer is back in the office and speak with her.
I have no idea what any of this means. Should I be testing for a surge to make sure I don't actually ovulate? Should I be concerned that they look for your estrogen level to be above 100 a week from now and mine is already over 200? Yet again, my confidence in this process, and my clinic, has been shaken. Aren't these guys supposed to be the best in the country? If everyone responds differently to medications, why do they have such a strict policy for very little monitoring in an FET? I now have this nagging feeling that we're not going to get to transfer on the 29th.
I feel so let down. I really had all my hopes up for this cycle since everything should be perfect and "ready to go" after the D&C and for some reason, I expected everything to go perfectly. I keep thinking that if we don't at least get to transfer this cycle, the D&C will have been wasted. So I will keep doing my shots, even though I don't know if they're actually doing anything. And hopefully I will get some reassurance from Jennifer this week that everything is going as it should be.
Scotland, Part Two
1 day ago