Monday, November 3, 2008

Short Term Plans

I did finally talk to the OB this evening. She apparently thought the peri had talked to me and that I knew what the plan was going forward. And the peri evidently told her I wanted to stay in the hospital. I asked the peri her thoughts on hospital versus home bedrest and she asked what type of patient I would be at home (i.e. would I cheat and be getting up to do laundry, etc.). I told her I wasn't worried about forcing myself to lie down, but I would worry about the babies more if i was home and would probably have a difficult time deciding when to come back in should things seem different to me. it is more reassuring being in the hospital knowing that they are watching you and the babies, takes a bit of the pressure off. So apparently, I made the decision to stay, but wasn't aware I had made the decision or that it was even up to me. Go figure. For what it's worth, the OB did say she would prefer I was in the hospital anyway.

Here's the plan. They started me on cel.ebrex tonight and I'll be on that until Wednesday. On Wednesday, they will do another scan to check on the babies again, mainly on Apple's fluid level. i assume they'll check my cervix again too. Then we will reassess the situation. So, at least I know the plan for the next two nights and two days. After that it is all subject to change again.

I can't remember what details I put in the last post and I'm just too lazy to go back and look, so I apologize if I'm repeating anything. Apple weighed in around 2 pounds 7 ounces, while Banana is at 3 pounds 1 ounce. Banana is above the growth curve for a singleton, while Apple is below. Apple is still vertex and her head is so far down in my pelvis they had trouble getting a measurement of her head. Apparently she thinks it is time to go somewhere, but my cervix is holding her in for now. Banana is back to being breech. And he is spreading out taking up a ton of room and squeezing his sister into a smaller space. When they were measuring him today, they said he has a long arm bone. Now I'm picturing some kind of ape growing in there because neither B nor I have long arms (or legs).

Anatomy still looks good for both from what they can tell, but it gets more difficult over time as they grow. Both babies still have good blood flow from the placentas through their cords. Out of the four things they measure on the babies to determine size and weight (arm bone, leg bone, head, abdomen), all of Banana's were right around average or slightly above for a singleton. Apple's measurements were all good too except for her abdomen which is measuring at less than 2% percentile. This is the one measurement that is putting her below the curve and causing concern. Plus the fact that her fluid is a little low. It is actually difficult for them to tell and they said that if she were a singleton, they may not even be concerned. However, since Banana has more fluid and is bigger, they worry that he's getting more of the nourishment and she is suffering because of it.

No one seems concerned enough to talk about inducing soon, but they are concerned enough to watch closer. The other thing that concerned me today is that they sent a nurse from the NICU up to my room to talk to us about what to expect with preemies who are born at different weeks. I wasn't sure whether to listen intently to absorb as much info as possible, or to tune her out and ignore everything hoping that we wouldn't need to know any of it.

But even with this new turn of events, I'm trying to take things in stride. Every morning I wake up, I can mark another day off the calendar that I'm still pregnant and the babies are still benefiting from being in the uterine environment instead of the NICU. Each week will now feel like much more of a significant milestone to me than before. And the more of those milestones we can hit, the better off the babies will be when they come out.

11 comments:

Io said...

Well, I'm glad you know that you(heh!) made the decision to stay. I hope those kiddoes stick in there and keep growing and getting stronger.

Amy said...

Denise ~ I'm glad to hear that you've got a short term plan finally. It had to be a little nerve wracking not knowing if you were going home or not each day. I'm keeping you and Apple and Banana in my thoughts. Hoping they stay put for a few more weeks at least!

George said...

Sounds like you'll be in very good hands at the hospital. Your doctors seem to be on top of your situation...that's great. Fingers crossed that the babies stay put for several more weeks!

Rhonda said...

You are in good hands and at least the view there is pretty good!

See you later today and thanks for the update.
xoxoxo

Melanie said...

So very glad all's well and I know all will continue to go well until showtime! Keep up your good strong attitude and hang in there!

CJ said...

I've been so behind reading blogs, I didn't even know you went into the hosptial!! OMG!! I am only a week behind you. Is my time coming up soon?? Geeze it seems like all my twin bloggers are going into L&D super early! Well good luck to you. SOunds like you are surviving and keep those babies in your belly!! Atleast you can watch election coverage alll day today!! :) I have a sono and dr. appt today and I'll post about it later. Pink

Jen said...

I think being in the hospital is the way to go, just as a precautionary plan for now. And I hope those two stay put for another six to seven weeks!

shawna said...

I just wanted to thank you for writing all of this in such great detail. I think that it takes some of the anxiety away about what might be in our futures.
I am glad that you have a plan, and that everything is going so well.

JJ said...

Keeping all 3 of you in my thoughts!

Rebecca said...

I read somewhere that every day those babies are inside you is 3 days that they won't be in NICU...just remember that when you're totally sick of being in the hospital. I give you lots of credit for your attitude...you're pretty upbeat for someone in your position! You should be...I believe that positive thinking can get you far!

I'm glad they're keeping a close eye on the weight gain of both babies...that can change quickly. I taught B/G twins where the boy started stealing from the girl. Their Mom wasn't being monitored as closely as you are (14 years ago...not so much technology involved) and they had to do an emergency C-section! You're in good hands! God, I'm wordy!!!

Lollipop Goldstein said...

I'm just sending good thoughts, sweetie.