Monday, October 20, 2008

Week 28 Appointment

Another appointment with all good news. I could get used to that!

Here are the highlights:
  • Apple is still vertex (head down) and her head is pretty low in my pelvis.  She is pretty much stretched out on my left side with her feet up in my ribs.  Yeah, pretty comfy.  That explains the shortness of breath.  She's weighing in now around 2 pounds 2 ounces and is measuring 27 weeks even.  Since I am 27w4d today, this is still in the normal range of a singleton, which is really good for a twin.  Her heart rate was 143 and she is still swallowing fluid.
  • Banana is also vertex, but up higher and on my right side.  He was pretty curled up today and wasn't cooperating for pictures.   He weighs about 2 pounds 5 ounces and is measuring 27 weeks 2 days.  His heart rate was 148 and he is also still swallowing fluid.
  • Apple and Banana are still close enough in size and weight that their growth is considered concordant, which is good.  They are sharing nicely.  Both placentas still look healthy and firmly attached.
  • My cervix is still nice and long (5 something).
  • Blood pressure really low at 110/60.
  • Weight gain around 25 pounds.  I'm gaining around a pound a week now which puts me at the lower end of what my doctor recommends 10 weeks from now (her recommendation was 35-45 total weight gain).
  • Speaking of 10 weeks from now, my doc says she doesn't think I'll go past that.  If I do, we can discuss pros and cons of inducing.  But from what I've been reading, I'm going to do all I can to avoid induction.
  • My belly is now measuring 37 cm (what would be expected for a woman pregnant with a singleton at 37 weeks).  The doctor said this explains why I'm experiencing more frequent BH contractions.  Apparently as the uterus approaches the size it would at term with a singleton, it starts to prepare for labor because it doesn't know there are two babies in there that need to grow some more.  Silly uterus.  So it becomes increasingly more important now to keep a watch out for pre-term labor.
In other news, we have decided on a doula.  We met with her last night.  She has attended three twin births and I really like her philosophy and answers to all of my questions.  I'm actually pretty surprised at how relieved I feel having made that decision.  I was feeling like a slacker that we haven't taken any childbirth classes yet and having a doula there takes some of that pressure off.  We are taking a multiples class that should cover childbirth, but it isn't for 3 weeks and since it is multiples specific and only for one day, I'm not sure how much they will cover.  We are also signed up for a baby care class that same weekend (which will be an exhausting weekend).  Then we are going to sign up for a baby safety class (infant cpr, etc.) for the weekend after (if there is still room in the class).

I continued the countdown this morning by reminding myself only 6 more weeks until I can shift some responsibility at work and start working from home.  Then I remembered that the last week in November is Thanksgiving, so it is really only 5 1/2 weeks.  Yay!  Tomorrow also begins my schedule of leaving early to work from home in the evenings.  I didn't feel right starting that today since I was out all morning.

I also got temporary tags to park in handicap parking spots today.  My doctor thought it was a great idea.  Not only can I avoid long walks in parking lots, but now I will be able to park in wider spaces which makes it easier to get in and out of the car.  Last Friday I walked to my car after work to go home and could not get into my car on the driver's side.  I'm not even sure I could have gotten in if I weren't pregnant, the car next to me was parked so close and so far over the line.  After calming down and convincing myself that slashing the car's tires or keying the car would not be productive, I resigned myself to getting into the passenger seat and hauling my huge pregnant ass over the center console.  It took me forever and was painful.  Thankfully, I should be able to avoid that situation going forward.  My temporary tags expire January 18th, two days after my due date.

That's all for now.  Sorry for the lack of pictures today.  I just don't have the energy to go scan them.  I'll get to it next weekend.

10 comments:

momofonefornow said...

That happened to me when I was 7 months pregnant. I had a tiny little Mustang and I was in a parking garage. Not pretty when the big fat pregnant chick has to climb through the car to get in, not pretty at all!

bb said...

Yay for another great appt!!!

Antigone said...

Where did the time go? It seems like you *just* got pregnant.

Happy third trimester.

Rhonda said...

So i did the math and it totally makes sense, knowing you and B are tax people...but apple and banana will be making their entrance into this world just before the end of the year - nicely done - 2 additional tax deductions!
xoxo

Rebecca said...

Oh...I wish I had thought of the handicapped parking sticker when I was PG. My Mom suggested it, but I didn't think it was possible! Great appointment...it is nice to get good news for a change, right? Take it easy!

Jen said...

So when does the doctor actually think you'll deliver?

But I am thrilled to hear that they are looking good and growing! I can't believe you are almost there.

Io said...

Damn. I had never thought about the getting in the car thing! That's wild. Glad you're getting tags.
Also glad you are no longer a slacker. Hee! Your doula sounds great.

nancy said...

That's awesome. Good news appointments are always the best.

Holy crap. 37cm! I measured that myself, yeah, at 37weeks, but I remember feeling so huge. And you are so freaking tiny. Sometimes I just don't understand physics.

Lorraine said...

The doula is the absolutely best help you can have! I don't know if I even could have survived the whole experience without her - my husband basically went into spectator mode, but the doula used all her accupressure massage techniques and I have to say it was actually *not that bad* - really!

Melanie said...

So much to say! The painting looks awesome! I'm in some serious need of competent painting, so you may have motivated me. More importantly, I'm so glad everything is going well. Curses to the asshole who parked so close to you. I never got your email, by the way. I'm wondering if my work email filtered it out?